This is the first installment of what will be an ongoing series of posts by both Marc Winger and myself about the nuts and bolts of using Social Media to help your business. Check back frequently as there will be more posts added to this topic AND the individual posts/instructions may change based on changes to the services, improvement of techniques or the personal successes of our members. Here goes…
Claiming Your Google Maps Listing
- Go to Google.com and search for you business by name and complete address
- If your business is already listed on Google it will appear in what’s known as a “one box” at the top of the search results. This is comprised of a map with a map point on it and the specifics of your address and contact info to the right of it.
- Below the listing of your business name and ABOVE your address should appear a link entitled Place page. Click on this.
- You will now be taken to your Google Place Page. To the upper right, just to the left of the map and below the search box in Google there is a link that reads “Edit this place – Business Owner?”. Click on the portion that says “Business Owner”.
- You will now be redirected to the Google Places site. Follow the instructions there explicitly. If you have a problem trying call me first and Marc secondarily.
There will be multiple steps involved in Step #5: be prepared to upload photos of your business, videos about your business, to describe it in detail and to categorize it accurately.
***NOTE: be especially careful to record your User Name and Password if you need to create a Google account and haven’t done so in the past. This will be your overall login to modify your Places Page, etc. on all of the Google properties. This is important as there are many, many useful tools for your business available there.
For more information use either of the links below, the both come from Google itself: